04 December 2007

Sounds

Sound is becoming a significant part of the installation, and so we need heaps of them! The way I see it, there should be a "soundset" of at least eight sounds for each Processing sketch.

I registered an account at the Freesound Project for the class. It is a library of user-designed sounds in all sorts of categories. Please log on for a little while and dig around for interesting sounds we can use! The username is ahoide and the password is expro.

Things to consider about the sounds:
  • Is the soundset varied enough not to be boring?
  • Synthetic or natural sounding?
  • How do the sounds affect/compliment eachother?
  • How would they fit the visuals?
  • Do they have a common theme?
  • Would you stand to hear the sounds a hundred times in a row?
We still need ideas for the visual side of things - sounds are a good way to find inspiration.

4 comments:

ingrid said...

Dont know about you, but I'm walking around with Yann Tiersen's Soir De Fête, and La Redecouverte fra Le fabuleux destin d'amelie Polain in my head.. and a lot of Bjørk ofcourse..

Christer said...

Great, let's whip together a mix of toy instruments and screaming icelandic women!

ingrid said...

hmm, not a fan I take it. I guess what appalled to me was the soft metallic "plings" they both use..

Christer said...

While I must have reeked of sarcasm in my last comment, I meant every word of it. (No, really!)

I enjoy the feeling of the "pling" in the prototype, if we make a sketch where metallic sounds (or even Bjørk) is appropriate, I say Go for it!